To maintain heating element is now a common sense to many people. Manufacturers and users are both involved in this case. On one hand, manufacturers need to improve the quality of heaters to ensure users’ application. On the other hand, users should to pay attention to maintaining the elements before and during application, which lays foundation for heaters’ longer lifespan and better function.
Here are some tips for you to maintain the heating elements.
1. If it is immersion heater element, the heating zone of element should be fully immersed in the heating medium. In this way, it will protect heater from damage because of over heat for slow heat emission. Besides, the lead cable should be in the insulation layer or out of heating part, which avoids damage for over heat as well.
2. Supply power should not exceed 10% of the rated volt noted on the heating element. If it is lower than rated voltage, the heat emitted by the element will decrease, too.
3. Two nuts should be comparatively fastened while connecting wire to heating element. Be careful and do not overexert in case the screw comes loose and damage the heating element.
4. Wire connection part of the heater should be clean and dry. Otherwise it may decrease the insulation of the heater even lead to breakdown for short circuit. If heater is used under circumstance with corrosive, inflammable or explosive liquid or air, heater’s cable should be protected by insulating and sealed device.
5. When heating viscose fiber such as sodium nitrate, stearic acid, paraffin, etc, you should lower the supply volt a little bit to decrease heat emission of the heater. When the medium is wholly melted into liquid, you may use the rated volt to heat.
6. Choose heating element of appropriate material for heating different medium. Stainless steel 304 is widely used in most cases. However, if the medium is corrosive, sus316 or incoloy heaters would be better choice. For example, if water is hard, sus316 is recommended.
7. After a period of time, dirt and grease will accumulate on the surface of the element. Regular cleaning is very necessary. Otherwise, it will weaken the heat transfer of heater, then lead to surface load exceeding the rated load and furthermore damage the heater.
8. Heating element should be stocked in dry place. After long time placement, the surface of heater will be damped. If the insulation resistance is lower than 1 MΩ/500v, heating element should be dried in 200 degree oven.
If you have any other questions on maintaining heating elements, please contact us directly.